What people say VS. What they mean

In the increasingly technology dependent world we live in, it's becoming easier and easier to lie. Whether it's a flat out lie or a white lie, the lack of face to face contact makes inadequate treatment of others a piece of cake. In those times we don't have to see the effects of our actions or the pain our words/actions cause. However, technology aside, another sad truth is that people just don't care about others as much as they used to, and this "me" mentality makes meaningful, honest relationships (of all kinds) a rare treasure.

While this is sometimes a serious matter, sometimes it can just be funny to sit and think about how we interact as people. I've taken it upon myself today to share with you a few useful translations to keep in your back pocket in case you're not quite sure how to take what someone says to you. Read on, and soak it all in. The truth hurts. ;)

When Making Plans:
"Let's hang out soon!"
Translation 1: Let's hang out soon.
Translation 2: I like you and am glad we ran into each other, but I am saying this out of social obligation and lack of anything else to say.

"I'm actually glad I have no plans tonight" (on a Friday)
Translation: Someone please hang out with me.


"I have food poisoning."
Translation: I'm hungover and have complete disregard for our plans.

"I'll let you know."
Translation: Let me make sure nothing better comes up.

"Something came up, I can't make it!"
Translation: Something better came up, I don't want to make it.

In Dating: 
"I had a rough couple of days, that's why I didn't show up for our date. I really liked you and hope we can be friends."
Translation: I'm dating someone else because I like her better.
Silence.
Translation: I'm embarrassed you saw me on a date last night.

"I still have feelings for you."
Translation: I'm jealous you're dating other people.
  
"You look familiar."
Translation: I think you're attractive and needed an excuse to talk to you.

"Your name is Christina right?"
Translation: I needed an excuse to talk to you a week after I told you you "looked familiar."

"I've been so busy."
Translation: I haven't gotten in touch with you because I don't want to.

"I'm really sorry for how I treated you."
Translation 1: I'm really sorry for how I treated you.
Translation 2: I just need to clear my conscience.

Social Cues:
"My name is Sydney."
Translation: You're annoying and I don't want you to know my real name.

"That's a cute shirt!"
Translation 1: That's a cute shirt!
Translation 2: I don't really like you, but I'm obligated to be around you so let's bond over common ground, shopping.

"Good to see you!"
Translation: It is good to see you, but I can't think of anything else to say and I'm ready for this small talk to end, so this really means "goodbye."

"Sorry, I got a new phone and lost my numbers. Who is this?"
Translation 1: Sorry, I deleted your number because I don't care about you.
Translation 2: I thought I would never hear from you again, so I deleted your number.

Fighting:
"K."
Translation: I hate you right now so either fix it or don't talk to me again.

"I'm sorry you are mad at me."
Translation: I'm not sorry for what I did I'm just annoyed that we're arguing.

If only we lived in a world where people would mean what they say and say what they mean. Props to the few of us who do so.

Comments

Popular Posts