Gotta Catch 'Em All - or just one...

I think I date the way I play Pokemon Go. 
I wander around aimlessly and completely clueless until I catch one.

Dating as an adult is hard, y'all. What I wouldn't give to go back to listening to Backstreet Boys love songs, having "serious" AOL instant messenger conversations and writing boys names on our hands with Milky Pens, only to be changed to a new name within a week.

Ah, but there are similarities. Turns out dating as an adult brings the same feeling you had at 15 when you held hands with someone for the first time. It's the over analyzing your every move and wondering if you did or said anything wrong, and the getting excited over knowing what you did right. It's the fear of vulnerability and the embarrassment that comes with letting your flaws slip. Dating as an adult is still the child-like giddiness of a first kiss and the impatience of wondering when they'll call again.

It's exhausting, frustrating, exciting and fun. It's just harder as an adult, because you've got all of your past mistakes positively guiding yet negatively impacting your every move. You have the past and the future both competing for your attention.

And I have no clue what I'm doing. 15 years of experience doesn't really help on this resume.

But right now? I'm liking where it's going. I guess we never really stop learning. We never stop learning about others, or ourselves. There's something infuriating yet magical about the process.

So here's to the next move, whatever that may be. To God somehow saving me from my own awkwardness... and to catching that "Pikachu" when it's right. ;)

Comments

Popular Posts